Albuquerque, NM Streetcar Proposal

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 12: Update/ 1st week back from spring break

1/8" section model(scheme2)  thinking about structure and space relationships.
This week was a busy one.  It got me to start thinking about structural systems, both how they exist in my present scheme and what systems I plan to utilize.


This week I was able to develop the promenade/bio-swale connection between the two transit terminuses.  Its just beginning to look how I've pictured it.

Since i have decided on doing a performing art center (for both theater/music)  I ran through a few schemes this week.(surprised?) I was looking at the different ways I could articulate this building to not only reinforce my transit concept but also make the evocative building this transit stop needs in order to give character to gateway.  

My first scheme was organizing the program into its respective parts and ordering them around a central courtyard.

My second scheme was to sink the entire building except for the front of house and back of house.  Both parts would straddle the plaza creating this notion of a "gateway".

Other schemes predominately exist in my sketchbook.  

What has been frustrating is that I have really only been thinking about my project as being a performing art center for about a week.  And this semester isn't really structured to allow me to feel my way through a scheme.  I have got to get this building figured out asap.


I also was able to meet with Mr. James McGrath of ZGF this week.  We discussed the parti of my building as to how it relates to the urban space I am trying to create.  He was not very thrilled with my subterranean scheme. (no was I)   It seems like the solution this building is leaning towards is one where it is an object building in the middle of future fabric building. (which is what I presented at my mid term.) 

This week I plan to nail my floor plan and massing.  As I develop the structure I will use that to start to break down the massing/ elevations of the building.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment