Albuquerque, NM Streetcar Proposal

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ideas are a coming

I think I have final found the missing link to my project, and at 7:30 in the morning coming out of an all nighter.

Im sorry for posting this, but I feel like if I don't type through my thoughts they will vanish, much like trying to recall a dream.

I've always been interested in this ecological metaphor of a building being able to grow to its environment.
My project is about transit (urban level) and is about knowledge/idea sharing (building level) both share the same concept of making connections.  well I thought I realized this weeks ago and the things that I am producing don't seem to embody connectivity, maybe some do at the transient level, but not as an architectural aesthetic.  Being in the bio -synergy studio looking toward nature for inspiration I started to think of what natural systems/ or things lend themselves to salving the problem of making connections.  First though were roots and the second is neurons or nerves, which also posses a root like structure.  Could my building begin to aesthetically take on some of these characteristics?  could it begin to express this the most at where it touches the ground/ or as it creates the space in which the ted talks are held.  I am very excited to have finally put two and two together.  I honestly think I have been running my self down trying to grasp what my thesis was getting at and look for any excuse to change site/or program.  

I hope the next couple of days will allow me to explore the formal possibilities of testing the nerve like structure.  If not I have all of spring break to test to my hearts content.

Currently I am satisfied with what my urban plan has left me to respond to and I feel like I have a good grasp of my building's volume/scale and the necessary adjacencies/ frontages of my program.

I think the hardest part of my project is that I am designing for a brand new context and it doesn't allow for a way to check if what I am doing is actually appropriate, the way preexisting context would.

-my apologies to john in advance if my building ends up having similar ties to mycelium.

No comments:

Post a Comment