Albuquerque, NM Streetcar Proposal

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Week 1: Update

Aerial Map: Portland Blocks in Comparison to Site and District

Wow, I can not believe that the first week of Thesis has already come and gone.( and I missed the first day of class.)  Looking back I feel like this week was a productive one.

The 1-hour charrette we did on wednesday was helpful in that it was the first time I had put pen to paper about my ideas towards this project.  I must say I surprised myself.  This exercise made me realize that some of my previous feeling about what to develop may have been wrong.  Instead of tackling the disgusting shopping center which is roughly 20 portland city blocks, I have decided to focus my efforts to the immediate area south of my slot and try to encourage the density there.  Another realization I had as a result of the charrette was that I may want to reconsider the location of my street car alignment.  I feel like it would work better on 99th (adjacent to the transit center) rather then being on 102nd.  My instincts tell me that if i expect people to utilize public transit that it needs to be in close proximity to other modes.  Its location on 102nd is better for future urban development but its going to be tough to get people to walk three portland blocks to get to the Transit center.  I am going to try and work out a solution this weekend so I can have my cake and eat it too.

Before going on christmas break I was hoping to have my site model done, and like most things on my to do list this holiday including my site model failed to get realized.  Well this week I made up for it and I am happy to say that I have a very massive site model (1 to 50) that should function nicely for scheming urban designs up to mid review.  Its my plan to generate a final site model as of Mid march that will contain my urban changes and get me through to the end.


I am slowly developing a metaphor that could become rather interesting as it becomes more refined.  As we continue to build more and more it is important that we build in areas that make it easier for us to thrive.  But it is also important that as we grow we do not destroy or remove others ability to thrive.  A more sustainable future will require clever building strategies that take into consideration future growth and the sustaining of our natural environment.  The juxtapostion of the built environment and the natural environment is the next hurdle for the architectural profession to take on.  can you picture a city that grows in parallel to the vegetation it is conscious of?

The next battle is trying to come up with urban form that is conducive of this.  I hate the feeling that the answer to this problem are unlimited.

What is the best solution for mixing the built with the natural environment?
If habitat isnt present, can it be created?

Please enjoy this clip from author and New York Times provider David Owen:








http://wheelercentre.com/videos/video/innovating-the-cities-david-owen/

No comments:

Post a Comment